Michigan’s latest trainer of the 12 months — Oak Park trainer Owen Bondono — says he’ll spend the following 12 months advocating for an equitable studying expertise for college students who’re being educated throughout the pandemic.
Bondono, who was named Michigan Teacher of the Year throughout a digital press convention Friday morning that included the 10 finalists, mentioned he additionally desires to uplift the voices of marginalized college students and academics.
“I know firsthand the harm that can come to marginalized students in schools,” mentioned Bondono, who teaches on the Oak Park Freshman Institute, a faculty that serves the ninth-graders within the Oak Park School District. The district educates plenty of Detroit college students.
The Michigan Teacher of the Year program honors excellent academics. As a part of this system, 10 regional finalists are chosen. The program is run by the Michigan Department of Education.
A big a part of Bondono’s function might be to attend month-to-month conferences of the state board of training and current on points which can be necessary to Michigan academics. He may even be the state’s finalist for the National Teacher of the Year.
Usually, the trainer of the 12 months is called in May throughout a shock go to to the trainer’s faculty. That didn’t occur this 12 months due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Bondono takes over from Cara Lougheed, a Rochester Community Schools trainer who served throughout the 2019-20 faculty 12 months.
Here are the finalists for the annual honor:
- Janine Scott, a math trainer at Davis Aerospace Technical School, Detroit Public Schools Community District. (Scott can be a member of Chalkbeat’s Reader Advisory Board.)
- Tan-A Hoffman, a second grade trainer at JKL Bahweting Anishnabe School in Sault Ste. Marie.
- David Bunn, a highschool trainer at Houghton Lake Jr/Sr High, Houghton Lake Community School District.
- Shantel VanderGalien, an eighth-grade trainer at Wyoming Jr High, Wyoming Public Schools.
- Barbara Huston, a third-grade trainer at Arrowwood Elementary, Saginaw Township Community Schools.
- Erin Carlson, a center and highschool trainer at Sandusky Jr/Sr High, Sandusky Community Schools.
- Chelsee Schram, a second-grade trainer at Morrice Elementary, Morrice Area Schools.
- Elizabeth Honeysett, a highschool trainer at Portage Central High School, Portage Public Schools.
- Sarah Soper, a highschool trainer at Northwest High School, Northwest Community Schools.
A full record of previous winners of the Michigan Teacher of the Year is here.