Critical Infrastructure Sectors
Functioning critical infrastructurepdf iconexternal icon is crucial in the course of the response to the COVID-19 emergency for each public well being and security in addition to neighborhood well-being. These employees carry out job duties throughout 16 critical infrastructure sectorsexternal icon.
COVID-19 Critical Infrastructure Response Plan
While steerage particular to important infrastructure employees and employers has been developed, employers ought to nonetheless overview the resources for businesses and employers, as these suggestions are additionally relevant to defending the important infrastructure workforce.
Create or replace your COVID-19 response plan to stop or sluggish the unfold of COVID-19 in your office. Employers ought to proceed to reply in a versatile technique to various ranges of illness transmission in the neighborhood and be ready to refine your response plans as wanted. This could embrace actions in a number of of the next areas:
- Maintain wholesome enterprise operations
- Reduce transmission amongst staff and the general public
- Maintain a wholesome work setting
When creating or updating your COVID-19 response plan, make sure to:
CDC Interim Guidance for Critical Infrastructure Workers Exposed to COVID-19
CDC’s critical infrastructure guidance gives exceptions to present dwelling quarantine practices after an publicity to COVID-19. The steerage advises that employers could allow employees who’ve had an publicity to COVID-19, however who should not have signs, to proceed to work, offered they adhere to extra security precautions, similar to measuring the worker’s temperature and assessing for signs of COVID-19 earlier than every work shift (“pre-screening”), asking the worker to self-monitor for signs throughout their work shift, and carrying a cloth face covering. While this steerage is designed to make sure that work in important infrastructure sectors can proceed, important infrastructure employers have an obligation to handle the continuation of labor in a manner that finest protects the well being of their employees and most of the people.
When following the CDC interim steerage, think about adapting your COVID-19 enterprise response plan with the next components:
Maintain wholesome enterprise operations
- Reintegrating uncovered, asymptomatic employees to onsite operations, whereas mentioned within the important infrastructure steerage, shouldn’t be misinterpreted as all the time being the primary or most acceptable choice to pursue in managing important work duties.
- Home isolation should still be essentially the most most well-liked and viable choice for uncovered employees.
- Minimize the variety of employees current at worksites, balancing the necessity to defend employees with help for persevering with important operations.
- Anticipate and monitor employees absences as a consequence of sickness or publicity by:
- Identifying and prioritizing job capabilities important for steady operation,
- Cross-training staff to carry out important job capabilities so the office can function even when key staff are absent, and
- Matching important job capabilities with different equally expert and out there employees who haven’t skilled an publicity to COVID-19.
- Consider particular lodging (e.g., telework, reassignment of duties to reduce contact with others) for workers who’re members of a vulnerable population.
Reduce transmission amongst staff and the general public
- Actively encourage sick staff to remain dwelling.
- Immediately ship any worker who turns into sick in the course of the day dwelling or to hunt additional care from a healthcare supplier.
- Have sick staff observe CDC-recommended guidance. Employees shouldn’t return to work till the factors to discontinue home isolation are met, in session with healthcare suppliers and state and native well being departments.
- Pre-screen staff (e.g., measuring the worker’s temperature and assessing signs of COVID-19 previous to beginning work) and carry out common medical monitoring (e.g., the worker ought to self-monitor for signs or observe up with the employer’s occupational well being program) of uncovered employees.
- Ensure uncovered employees put on a facemask or cloth face covering in accordance with CDC and OSHA steerage and any state or native necessities.
- Implement social distancing to reduce the probabilities of employees exposing each other.
- Educate staff about how they’ll cut back the unfold of COVID-19.
Maintain a wholesome work setting
- Work with facility upkeep employees to boost air flow by growing air exchanges in rooms.
- Modify workstation layouts to make sure all staff stay not less than six ft aside.
- Close widespread areas the place staff are prone to congregate and work together or implement social distancing protocols and use different strategies to bodily separate staff.
- Increase the frequency of cleansing often touched surfaces and shared objects to reduce the potential for cross contamination; for instance, clear earlier than and after shifts or instantly earlier than and after using shared objects.
- Communicate along with your staff about job stress related to COVID-19 and ways to cope with that stress.